under the surface of this very same whole story...?



Having finished my 'piece', I realised on my walk just now, what the ingredients were, under te bonnet, in the creation proces of this story.

I figured, in the light of top and-bottom half of a cyclic process, worth mentioning.

I know, that David Chamler's Ted Talk was not the only 'really nice piece of mental food' I had tasted and liked, yesterday.
I am aware that at least two other main ingredients, inspired my subconcious to allow this story to well up in me, today.

I had read a book, outside, in the sunshine, called ' De vrouw van mijn leven', by Nicolas Barreau ( original German titel 'Die frau meines lebens')..... the woman of my life.
It was the funniest story I had read in ages, about the bookshop keeper of the Sun Library, whowas ....suddenly, in cocreation with Universal coincidences, finding, loosing and then finding again the love of his life, within 24 hours packed with events.
Written in 2007.

I had also watched this Youtube video, with a registration of Dire Straits, playing Sultans of Swing 'live'.
From their album ' Alchemy (live)', released in 1984.
Alchemy is, by the way, apart from an attempt of turning physical lead into phsyical gold, also the name for a (rapid) positive transformative metaphysical change in consciousness.

In watching this video ( of a song I have heard playing many times before), it struck me how much 'joy' there was to see, in seeing the boys from the band play.
It was almost written in their smiles and body-postures that they couldnl;t have pictures themselves to do anything better in live than playing that song, right there, together.
The joy of both the teamplay, the interplay between them, of knowing each other well, giving each other space to shine, to perform well....... as well as the virtuous individal play, with an ease and elegance as if 'anyone can do it'......  But, given the high speed- and melodyline changes, takes probably years of intense practise and thus a real 'master' to perform so gracefully.

To me, the moment that  got me 'moved' to tears, was the end of the piece.
They were ' building it up'... everyone 'knew' what was about to come.. but they were ' delaying delivering it'.... teasing.....playing.. improvising....
Without a word being exchanged.. they knew exactly when and how to 'time' it, in one 'dry' standing end.
And although you'd been able to see it coming ( especcially having heard the song for three decades now, often enough to be able to 'know')... it still came as a right on time surprise.

Now back to the creation of my composition.

Yesterday, I knew I fancied contacting David Chamler, but I had no idea about the ' angle to fly'.
Even in the morning, I had not idea, about the angle to fly.
I checked my e-mail first and replied to my father.
Having pressed 'sent', I figuired it would make a nice blog post in it's own right.
Wich I wrote.

Then, when that was finished, it suddenly struck me that I was being presented with a great angle to fly, for the piece I'd send David.
And... seen as how he asked for an answer he could put on a T-shirt in the video, decided to use the very same image I had cretaed for the blog post.

Did I 'have' the story' by then outined in my 'head'?
No, I created the image, by playing with screenshots from the video and a T-shirt and a vague referral to this mornings first blog post image.

When that was 'done', I staretd to write.
That, is not a linair process with me.
The story meanders to where it wants to go and I merely ' follow' ( or floow, as my fingers typed it just now).

I re-read it and then respond to urges to 'change' things.
Usually, I remove a lot.. too much explanation.. not too the point enough....etc.

Then, all improvising, walking away from it regularly, adding a touch, removing a large part again, condensing things down, I knew I was ' near the end' of finsihing it.
And then..... although one might think I could have seen that one coming....as if my inner writer tossed the sharp fountainpen at a dartboard and scored with a big smile in a most elegant way a deep and vibrating 'bulls-eye' ( while already three arrows where located), seemingly without even 'aiming' at it.....the 'joke' of a T-shirt only covering the top-half came to my mind.

Which, is a to my mind gorgeous play on words, for ' to cover' has two completely diffrent meanings in English, one physical/litteral ( reveqwaling from the eye) and one metaphysical/abstract one ( making known to the eye of understanding, by going 'though' the matter, that is summed up the whole story. Wrapped it elegantly in a iridescent ribbon.
Lands, the whole improvising composition, on the ground note I wish to ' hit', of the 'musical key' I prefer to play in... lighthearted, joyfull yet profound and multilayered in understanding.

In know, in what you 'read', that joke isn't the 'end' note.
But in the creation process, it was.

So, yes..... some teamplay, being enthusiastically poored into the colective consiousness in 1984 ( 33 years ago).....mixes nicely with some ingredients put there in other layers of time (2007 and 2014) mixed and today welled  up though the well of me, to return to the surface.
A warm well.. a warm bath of (team-)play.


Reacties